Monday July 25, 2011
URL to IRL
I love social networking – but the truth is, most of my business comes when I meet someone face to face (F2F) or they see me speak. As I prep for a 4 city speaking tour, I thought I’d record for you some of the things I do in order to really connect with my network.
How to turn your URL LinkedIn experience into a IRL (in real life) F2F meeting:
Advanced Search - Postal Code Field
- Use the location search to find people you know (but might have forgotten you knew) in the cities you are traveling to – and take them out to dinner.
- Use the location search to find SME’s you want to know in the cities you are traveling to – see if you can buy them a drink.
- Use the location search to find vendors who can help you in the city you are traveling to for better service, and sometimes better pricing.
- Use the location search to find potential clients you know in the cities you are traveling to – and see if you can get that f2f meeting since "you made a special trip to their city."
Groups, Answers and Company Search
- Check out location specific groups on LinkedIn and see if you can connect with some locals that way.
- If you have any questions regarding lodging, travel or vendors for an event in the city you are traveling to – use LinkedIn Answers to ask the locals.
- Use LinkedIn company search to see if you can get some insider information or contacts at a local company – especially if they might become a client or employer.
LinkedIn Apps you can use for Travel
- Use the “My Travel” app (TripIt) – to let people in your network know where you are going to be so they can contact YOU for a meeting.
- If they won’t or don’t respond to you on LinkedIn, send them an @message on Twitter using the Tweets application.
- Use LinkedIn signal to start a conversation with a local.
Did I leave something out? Please let me know below.