Wednesday April 22, 2015
If you’ve ever wondered how I became a LinkedIn expert and industry thought leader, here’s your chance to find out.
Not long ago, I was interviewed by Jamie Turner (who many of you may know as the 60 Second Marketer) about my work as a social media expert and how I got here.
We covered a lot of ground in the interview and I shared a ton of information that many of you might not know. (For example, did you know I’ve written manuscripts for three science fiction novels? Yup. It’s true.)
Here are just some of the other things I discussed in my interview on The Jamie Turner Show:
- My Name: I have a pretty unusual name. And with a name like mine, I felt I was either destined to be an author or a stripper. (Thank God I wrote a book!)
- My Early Career: At one point in my life, I wanted to be a professor. However my advisor believed that, although I was smart enough, I wasn’t cut out to deal with the politics within academia. She was right!
- My First Speech: At 7 years old I won the speech contest at my school - and was interviewed by the local TV station. It only too 35 years to do it again!
- My Social Media First Speech: My first speech on social media was in front of an audience of 500 millionaires and billionaires at a Waldorf Astoria. (I've don't think I've hit that net worth since then!)
- My Writing Style: People often say that while reading my book, they actually felt like I was talking to them. Well, here’s why: I’m not the best at typing, and literally narrated my book to Siri.
- My Meditation: I meditate every day as a way to stay focused and productive. I use a really odd, but highly effective trick to help me get deep into my meditation. (Listen to the podcast to find out what it is.)
I also reveal tons of helpful tips that will help you take your work to the next level like:
- How I use the ever changing nature of social media to my advantage.
- Why I think writing my book was the best career move I ever made, even though I just made about 9 cents an hour doing it.
- Why you should pick the very best mentors and how you can use social media to connect with them.
- How you can use LinkedIn to get discovered by publishers.
- I had tons of fun recording the podcast and I’m pretty sure you’ll have fun listening to it. Here are some ways to listen below: