Monday November 17, 2008
Hey y'all (practicing for my trip to South Carolina) So here are a few tips and tricks you might want to take into consideration when building a LinkedIn Profile.
- Treat your LinkedIn profile like a website. Make sure it is formatted, clean, and most importantly, filled with search engine friendly keywords
- Create a LI Profile Word template to create and edit your profile. This will guard against spelling and grammatical errors, and can be easily copied into other social media platforms to keep your branding unified.
- Keep your name clean – LinkedIn can’t find you if your name looks like this: Joe A Smith ([email protected]) Smith A LION
- Keep your photo professional. Headshot only. LinkedIn doesn’t like logos.
- Keep the “What are you doing now” function updated.
- Personalize your “public profile” to reflect your name, your business, or your area of expertise: http://www.linkedin.com/in/linkedinexpert
- Personalize your websites by using “other” to reflect you business name and not just “My Website”
- “Experience” is not your resume. Make sure the jobs you choose to list support each other.
- “Experience” is a great place to list “wins”, different companies you have helped, seminars or workshops you have presented, a mini-shot of your personal website.
- Make sure you list your certifications and licenses as well as traditional education.
- Use “forward profile” function to alert people in your network of your expertise, upcoming events. (This is a bit tricky and must be reached through your public profile – make sure to edit header!)
- Get Recommendations!
- Join strategic groups – then invite strategic members to build your network.
- Create a group - fill with interesting and relevant information.
- You only get 3000 invitations in a lifetime – use them wisely.
- Don’t IDK!
- Use “Answers” sections to position yourself as an expert, get exposure.
- Use Answers section to get free, valuable advice.
- Always be courteous.
- “Give to” more than you try and “get from” other LinkedIn members.
- Be relevant!
*I am in no way affiliated with LinkedIn corporate etc etc.)