Sunday April 5, 2009
Social Media Marketing Strategies: The "Tweet In"
- When: May 20
- Where: Twitter.com (or www.tweetchat.com)
- Time: 8 Eastern, 6 Mountain, 5 Pacific
- Hosts: @LinkedInExpert, @FreeRangeMom, @MariSmith
- Hashtag: #tweetin
Michael Stelzner (http://twitter.com/mike_stelzner) in his "Social Media Marketing Industry Report" set out to understand how, why and where marketers and business owners were using social media. His findings reflect that 88% of the participants are either using social media to market, or plan to shortly. That leaves only 12% who will not be your competitors in the social media marketing world.
Social media either already is, or will shortly become an incredibly important aspect of your marketing plan. Michael writes, "it is the nature of social media to share", and so it is our desire to help you increase your company's social media footprint by sharing some of the social media strategies we have used ourselves to increase our networks and monetize our presence on the holy triumvirate of Twitter, facebook and LinkedIn.
If you don't already know Peggy Dolane (@freerangemom) Mari Smith (@MariSmith) or Viveka von Rosen (@linkedinexpert) by all means, check us out. Together we hope to share with you some of the powerful strategies we've developed and utilized over the thousands of hours we have spent online.
The Tweet In
The first strategy we will share - and utilize - is a Twitter strategy coined "The Tweet InTM" (since tweetup, TweetGrid and tweetchat were already taken). The Tweet In looks like any "chat" on Twitter. Using the hashtag# to define your topic to your followers, you can all chat about the same subject, gaining information and positioning yourself as a thought leader in your industry. Of course I have done this with other social media strategists, but it works just as well for wedding planners, veterinarians, health care practitioners and industrialists (all clients of mine who have had success with the Tweet In). For a quick video on how to actually do this, visit @FreeRangeMom or @MariSmith's for great youtube instructional videos.
What differentiates the Tweet In from the fabulous tweetchats already practiced on Twitter (#gno, #followfriday, #walmartmoms, etc) is the pre and post production.
- The first thing you will want to do is find some amazing strategic partners to create your Tweet In with. I was a relative newbie on Twitter when I first connected with @MariSmith and @Freerangemom. Obviously having the weighty presence of two social media stars can help elevate the significance of your Tweet In. Also, it's nice to have someone to share the load with.
- Choose an interesting subject and have opinions about it
- Choose a date - and you might want to make it a recurring event.
- Create a post to share on your individual blogs to tell your followers a little bit more about the upcoming Tweet-In.
- Start inviting people to your Tweet It up to a month ahead of time (we are all busy people who need to schedule)
- Create a "guest list" or "resource list" (perhaps list them on your blog as well)
- Tweet about the event
- Ask others to RT the event.
- Record (by cutting and pasting) the relevant tweets from your Tweet In
- Write another blog and highlight your findings
- Use information from you Tweet In to create a webinar, seminar or blog (make sure you get permission to use Tweets if you are going to quote anyone)
- Post results on a blog, or invite those who attended the Tweet in to you webinar or event (you might offer then a discounted rate, or event give them a promo code to get in free).
So what are the benefits of a Tweet In?
- Build your network
- Make strategic connections
- Spread relevant information
- Gain testimonials
- Increase traffic to your blog and/or website
- Gather information for your own business (webinars, events, blogs, white papers)
- Increase business
- Attract potential clientele
- Attract PR
- HAVE FUN
Some Social Media Marketing Folks You Might Want to Follow:
- @KevinHouchin (Lawyer for Social Media Stars - an not too shabby himself)
- @MilesAustin (CEO of Integrated Alliances - premier social media training site)
- @LaurieMacomber (The Google Guru and SEO copywriting queen)
- @SMBizGuru (Small Business Guru)
- @GMarketingGuy (Guerilla Marketing dude and social media marketing evangelist)
- @Michael_Stelzner (King of the white paper and author of "Social Media Marketing Report")
When is our Tweet In
We'll be tweetin' about out "Tweet In" Tweet In on May 20th. Our Tweet In won't be just about Tweet Ins, but also about other social media marketing strategies we have found effective. Join us and ask us questions, tell us your successes, agree or disagree with us. We don't care, we just want to see you there!