Tuesday November 8, 2011
Formatting Your LinkedIn Profile
Make sure your LinkedIn profile is as least as professional in appearance as your website. Is it formatted, clean, and free of spelling and grammatical errors? I strongly suggest creating your LinkedIn profile first in a word document – not only so you can “catch” errors - but to get a better idea of what your profile will look like on the LinkedIn website.
Some sections of LinkedIn (“Current Experience Description”, “Summary” and “Contact Me” sections are the most visible) will allow you to “pull” in bullets and special characters.
In the product and services section of your LinkedIn Company profile you can now use bold and italics, but so far that is the only place. (We’ll talk more about the great new features of the “Company Profile” in weeks to come.)
In your “Current Experience Description”, “Summary” and “Contact Me” sections I recommend CAPITALIZING WHAT YOU WANT THE EYE TO SEE. Yes, I know its considered shouting, but when you are limited to formatting styles, you use what you have!
Another bonus, if you’ve already created your profile in a Word document, sections of it can easily be copied into other social media platforms to keep your branding unified. I’m a big fan of re-purposing content!
Finally, its just good to have a copy of your profile in case LinkedIn does something weird like closes or bans your account. (Yes – I’ve had both happen). Rather than throwing your hands of in the air and quitting LinkedIn forever, you’ll only have a few hours of work cutting and pasting to create a new account. But don’t worry. I’m going to tell you what to do – and what NOT to do in the coming weeks.
Steps to take RIGHT NOW:
- Open a Word doc
- Open LinkedIn
- Click on ‘Select All” and copy your whole profile
- Paste into the word doc
- Take a look at the sections of your profile that have formatting potential
- Format those sections
- Cut and paste those sections back into LinkedIn
For these and other great tips, not only on LinkedIn – but Twitter, Facebook, YouTube and Blogging too – consider joining the SocialMediaBizSchool. For only $37 a month and get access to some of the most successful social media “teachers” in their fields.
Here’s my Summary Section – Feel free to use it as a template:
WHY SHOULD YOU HIRE VIVEKA VON ROSEN TO DO YOUR SOCIAL MEDIA?
• 25 Women Who Rock Social Media in 2011: http://www.toprankblog.com/2011/06/25-women-rock-social-media-2011/
• #44 in the 200 most fearless women on the web: http://bigmoneyweb.com/200-most-fearless-women-online-and-in-social-media/
• Listed by Mari Smith as having the niche quality of a social media superstar: http://www.marismith.com/ten-qualities-of-social-media-superstars/
BUT WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU?
• I will get you and your company found on LinkedIn which will get you more business leads
• I will teach you the correct ways of creating business and relationships on Social Media
• I will help you craft your company story, so that your branding crosses all social and marketing mediums.
• I’m easy to understand so what I teach you will stick.
• I’ve taught over 10,000 business people so I know what I am talking about - see my 86 recommendations.
• I’ve made the mistakes so you don’t have to!
►WHAT DO I DO?: I train individuals & companies to create a more powerful social presence via seminars, webinars, implementation, one-on-one training and consultation.
► MISSION: Linking people into their potential, MAKING SOCIAL MEDIA WORK FOR YOU.
►If you are feeling OVERWHELMED by LINKEDIN and all its new features, please ask about the TRAINING WEBINARS and WORKSHOPS we provide. We are not Authorized LinkedIn Training. We provide training for basic as well as strategic use.
I WELCOME LINKEDIN INVITATIONS.
►Linked Into Business offers individuals, companies and groups LINKEDIN HANDS-ON WORKSHOPS and WEBINARS, and consulting as well as other social media presentations and trainings.
WHY I AM HERE ON LINKEDIN:
• To network with other active, intelligent and generous B2B networkers.
• To offer LinkedIn training & advice.
• Drive attendance to our entrepreneur’s WORKSHOPS, WEBINARS AND SEMINARS
Social Media Business School’s Upcoming Schedule
- “How to Use your Fan Page to Bring in Leads” Monday October 31st 11 a.m. PT (noon MT, 1 p.m. CT, 2 p.m. ET) – Andrea Vahl
- “Creating Your Editorial Calendar: How to be More Efficient and Save Time on Your Blog” Monday November 7th 11 a.m. PT (noon MT, 1 p.m. CT, 2 p.m. ET) – Denise Wakeman
- “Let’s Get Engaged! The Dream Wedding of Online Video and Social Media.” Monday November 14th 11 a.m. PT (noon MT, 1 p.m. CT, 2 p.m. ET) – Lou Bortone
- “Twitter Etiquette: The Do’s and Don’t’s of Tweeting” Monday November 21st 11 a.m. PT (noon MT, 1 p.m. CT, 2 p.m. ET) – Lori Gama
- “How to Connect your Social Media Sites to Save you Time” Monday November 28th 11 a.m. PT (noon MT, 1 p.m. CT, 2 p.m. ET) – Andrea Vahl
- “Getting Found and Getting Business on LinkedIn” Monday December 5th 11 a.m. PT (noon MT, 1 p.m. CT, 2 p.m. ET) – Viveka von Rosen
Remember, if you can’t attend the classes, they will be recorded and posted shortly after the class to watch at your convenience.
To sign up for the Social Media Business School just click here. Or go to: http://www.SocialMediaBizSchool.com/?ap_id=linkedinexpert
And don't forget to join our #LInkedInChat every Tuesday night at 5 PM PST, 8 PM EST
See you next week when we talk about finding your keywords and knowing where to put them to get found on LinkedIn!