Saturday August 20, 2011
- LinkedIn started out in the living room of co-founder Reid Hoffman in 2002.
- The site officially launched on May 5, 2003. At the end of the first month in operation, LinkedIn had a total of 4,500 members in the network.
- As of June 30, 2011 (the end of the second quarter), professionals are signing up to join LinkedIn at a rate that is faster than two new members per second.
- The company is publicly held and has a diversified business model with revenues coming from hiring solutions, marketing solutions and premium subscriptions.
- As of August 4, 2011, LinkedIn operates the world’s largest professional network on the Internet with more than 120 million members in over 200 countries and territories.
- More than half of LinkedIn members are currently located outside of the United States.
- There were nearly two billion people searches on LinkedIn in 2010.
- Headquartered in Mountain View, Calif., LinkedIn also has U.S. offices in Chicago, New York, Omaha and San Francisco. International LinkedIn offices are located in Amsterdam, Bangalore, Delhi, Dublin, London, Melbourne, Mumbai, Paris, Singapore, Stockholm, Sydney and Toronto.
- The company’s management team is comprised of seasoned executives from companies like Yahoo!, Google, Microsoft, TiVo, PayPal and Electronic Arts. The CEO of LinkedIn is Jeff Weiner.
- LinkedIn is currently available in nine languages: English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish, Russian, Turkish and Romanian.
- As of June 30, 2011 (the end of the second quarter), LinkedIn has 1,515 full-time employees located all around the globe. LinkedIn started off 2011 with about 1,000 full-time employees located all around the globe, up from around 500 at the beginning of 2010.
- 120m+ professionals around the world as of August 4, 2011
- 26m+ members in Europe
- 6m+ members in the UK
- 2m+ members in France
- 2m+ members in the Netherlands
- 2m+ members in Italy
- 1m+ members in the DACH region (Germany, Austria and Switzerland)
- 1m+ members in Spain
- 10m+ members in India
- 4m+ members in Canada
- 4m+ members in Brazil
- 2m+ members in Australia
- As of June 30, 2011 (the end of the second quarter), LinkedIn counts more than 6.5 million students and 9 million recent college graduates* around the world as members (*LinkedIn defines recent graduates as members who graduated between 2008 and 2011)
LinkedIn and Business
- As of June 30, 2011 (the end of the second quarter), LinkedIn counts executives from all 2011 Fortune 500 companies as members; its corporate hiring solutions are used by 75 of the Fortune 100 companies.
- More than 2 million companies have LinkedIn Company Pages.
- LinkedIn represents a valuable demographic for marketers with an affluent & influential membership.
- Thousands of developers are using LinkedIn APIs to create innovative tools and services for professionals.