Sunday April 18, 2010
Darn – I just can’t keep up! No sooner do I create a power point presentation, and Twitter ups its membership exponentially. I was looking at a deck I created for a class back in 2008 and the number of members was only 3 million – now we’re at 106 million? (I thought I’d better round up since by the time I publish this that’s how many Twitter users there will be – and by the time you actually read this it will be 120 million!)
Anyway, to check out the original blog, go here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/14/twitter-user-statistics-r_n_537992.html
Here's a summary of the facts and figures Twitter shared at Chirp:
- Twitter now has 105,779,710 registered users.
- New users are signing up at the rate of 300,000 per day.
- 180 million unique visitors come to the site every month.
- 75% of Twitter traffic comes from outside Twitter.com (i.e. via third party applications.)
- Twitter gets a total of 3 billion requests a day via its API.
- Twitter users are, in total, tweeting an average of 55 million tweets a day.
- Twitter's search engine receives around 600 million search queries per day.
- Of Twitter's active users, 37 percent use their phone to tweet.
- Over half of all tweets (60 percent) come from third party applications.
- Twitter itself has grown: in the past year alone, it has grown from 25 to 175 employees.